Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Reinstall fuse/Ubuntu

I had a reinstall of Ubuntu recently. The update didn't work out too well. Anyhow I was having trouble with fuse. I made sure all the components were installed from the package manager. It still wouldn't work. From there I found issuing the command "sudo mknod -m 666 /dev/fuse c 10 229" would insure the /dev/fuse file was created.

Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. I asked my friend Scott (one of the developers) if it was likely I missed something. He suggested checking to see if my user were part of the fuse group. It turns out the user had full access to fuse.

From there I did a bit more research and found the /dev/fuse file gets created as needed. Wasted effort earlier? who knows...

Then I decided to get nasty and look up the error message at google.ca/linux. There were two things to do. I first did "sudo modprobe fuse" followed by "sudo modprobe -l fuse" to be sure it was there. Still didn't quite solve the problem. Reading further, I found I had to issue the following command (and will have to do so for each update of fuse). "sudo chmod 4755 /usr/bin/fusermount". That did the trick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home