Sunday, October 22, 2006

FUSE with Ubuntu

I may have mentioned FUSE before. It is a program which is integrated into the newer Linux distros. This program allows users to mount directories on remote computers as if they were directories on the local machine. An interface program such as sshfs or ftpfs (there are about two dozen at this time) connects the local computer to the remote computer using various protocals depending on the servers installed on the remote machine. So far I've managed to mount both a Mac and Linux box on my local Linux machine.

The program is fast enough (over a 100 Mb network) to play MP3s. I haven't tried videos yet. I tried this before I replaced a 10 Mb NIC with a 100 Mb NIC. It was a pain. The connection was too slow.

With Fedora 5, I was able (barely) to compile the interface program and install it. This approach didn't work with Ubuntu. Under Ubuntu it's a matter of finding the appropriate selection in the package manager and install it. Ubuntu configures everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home