Sunday, March 26, 2006

Downgrade for stability

The G3 was down for a few weeks. I finally found the time to fix it. The problem was I tried using a third party piece of software to try to bring it up to a newer version of the operating system. It didn't work too well. I eventually went back to the version of OS X which was installed on the machine.

The reason I tried to install a newer version of OS X was the final patch in the 10.2 line caused instability in my machine. It would reboot every five or ten minutes. When I had installed the original 10.2 I noticed it was decently stable. It was the 10.2.8 patch which caused the problems. This last time around I installed the patches up to 10.2.6 (the patch before the last one). The stability problems are gone but unfortunately I lost Safari. There are a couple of other tweaks I need to perform but at least I have software running without reboots.

Oddly enough this pattern is repeated with M$ and Linux. Allowing an M$ box to autoupdate caused instability with an ME box I was running. My solution there was to reinstall ME and disable access to Microsoft.com. Normally this isn't a very smart thing to do. I eventually reinstalled again and completely disabled access of ME to the net. ME has never run so well. With Linux (specifically Fedora) the transition from Fedora 2 to Fedora 3 was nasty. Third party software wouldn't install. I tried compiling a couple of video players from source and standard C libraries weren't found. When I tried accessing the CD drives, they had been moved to a different location in the device list.

Sometimes it's a good idea to take one step back to get two steps ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home